Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk's spray, or a dead animal. Some people may
have difficulty smelling propane due to their age (older people may have a less sensitive
sense of smell); a medical condition; or the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
ODOR LOSS. On rare occasions, propane can lose its odor. Several things can cause this including:
|Since there is a possibility of odor loss or problems With your sense of smell, you should respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.|
Under some circumstances, you may not smell a propane leak, Propane gas detectors
sound an alarm if they sense propane in the air. They can provide an additional measure
of security. You should consider the purchase of one or more detectors for your home.
GUIDELINES regarding propane gas detectors:
LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS. Only a qualified service technician has the training to install, inspect, service, maintain, and repair your appliances, Have your appliance's and propane system inspected just before the start of each heating season.
DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY OR REPAIR valves, regulators, conrtectors, controls, or other appliance and cylinder/tank parts. Doing so creates the risk of a gas leak that can result in property damage, serious Injury, or death.
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)?
You can't taste or smell CO, but it is a very dangerous gas. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked.
CO CAN BE DEADLY! High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick. In extreme cases, CO can cause brain damage or death! Symptoms of CO poisoning include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and nausea.
IF YOU SUSPECT CO IS
PRESENT, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
CO DETECTORS CAN IMPROVE SAFETY. For an extra measure of safety, consider installing a CO detector listed by UL on each level of your home.
TO HELP REDUCE THE RISK OF CO POISONING:
DON'T RUN OUT OF GAS.
SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARDS,
INCLUDING FIRE OR
EXPLOSION, CAN RESULT.
IF A PILOT LIGHT REPEATEDLY GOES OUT or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. DO NOT try to fix the problem yourself. It is strongly recommended that only a QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN light any pilot light that has gone out.
YOU ARE TAKING THE RISK of starting a fire or an explosion if you light a pilot light yourself. Carefully follow all of the manufacturer's instructions and warnings concerning the appliance before attempting to light the pilot.